Thursday 27 June 2013

Spotted Mallard

Ellya Sam:


My two amazing cousins were the first to introduce me to this amazing place. After having their first meal here, they immediately knew I would love this place. AND THEY WERE RIGHT. 

This place looks very interesting. Very different from a lot of bars and eat places here in Melbourne. As you come in from their double wide doors (which look like olden day cinema doors), you need to walk up a wide staircase to a very dim- lit lounge. I wanna say the place very much reminded me of a... classic secret club meeting place? 18th Century Gentlemen's bar? English pub? Old ballroom? I don't know. I can't decide. But I do love it! Very hipster, indeed. Bringing back the old, ayyyy. The place looks very worn. I'm hoping intentional. HAHA. In one corner, a big, long bar with awesome looking baristas await you for your order from their selection of drinks. Opposite the bar, there is a stage. OMG, to my excitement when I found out there was going to be live music. And not just any live music.. JAZZ LIVE MUSIC. 

This place hosts gigs for unknown jazz and indie bands. Just my kind of place.

Live music. Jazzy, raggy, double- bass-y. YUMMMMM. They were so good!
And there is also a mini dance floor for people to get up and boogie. :D So many people were dancing around, I felt like I was in a modern day "flapper party". Probably worst description ever, but you get what I mean. ;)

The only downside to this place was that they were WAY understaffed. It took us a while to figure out how to get seated. (Do we wait, do we just grab a seat?) We waited for a while and nobody hosted us. So, we roamed a bit to find a table, WHICH WAS SO DIFFICULT. The place was so big so we ended up walking a while, dodging people and tables. In the end we found a communal table with a lovely couple who were more than happy to have us in their proximity. They enjoyed our company, I'm sure.. I hope. 

It took us another 15 mins to wait for a waiter to come by, so we went to the bar to give our food and drink orders. 

The food came close to 40 minutes after. I'm probably over- exaggerating, but when you're hungry, 20 minutes can seem like 40. Well whatever the case, the place was busy, but still.. 40 mins? On the bright side, at least that gave us time to give the band the full attention they deserved. 

Alas, the food!

Beef Cheek Rueben
Sweet slow cooked beef cheek on toasted panini with horseradish, mayo, pickles, red cabbage sauerkraut and masala jus. Served with fatties and house slaw.
$19$19

I'm guessing the dude who made this is called Rueben? LOL. Whatever it is, Rueben you genius! You king! This dish was so good! The beef cheeks were so tender and soft. It literally melted in my mouth as I devoured this bad baby. The panini was well- soaked by the jus and the excess yumminess of the beef. The horseradish, mayo, sauerkraut and pickles were amazing compliments of the beef and panini. It tasted so good with and on it's own, but didnt overpower the taste of the beef at all! I found myself using the remaining bread to squeaky clean my plate. The slaw was also to-die-for. It was creamy and well- pickled. And the chips.. OH the chips. Fat, crispy with a creamy center. Need I say more? So worth the wait. I was hungry and then wholly satisfied within that same hour.


8.5/10 
for excellent food, ambience and freaking awesome live music! Minus points for their hospitality.

Thanks Zho and Uwen for introducing this place to me and bringing me here! Definitely will come back.



Spotted Mallard
314 Sydney Rd  Brunswick VIC 3056
(03) 9380 8818

No comments:

Post a Comment